Main Petroleum Components
Natural Gas Compositions
[table id=22 /]
- Oil and gas reservoirs formed in porous sedimentary rock many millions of years ago.
- Some reservoirs are close to the earth’s surface whilst others are deep in the formation.
- Some have very high pressure and temperatures whilst other do not.
- The range of hydrocarbons varies, as does their concentration.
- Need to classify !!
– Phase behavior: compositions
– Fluid characteristics: API gravity
– Reservoir flow characteristics: phase diagram
Phase behavior – Pure component
Phase behavior – Multicomponents
- Reservoir fluids have a huge number of components.
- Their phase behavior is complex compared to single components.
- Instead of a single curve separating liquid from vapor phases, there is a broad region where both vapor and liquid exist .
- The two-phase region is bounded on one side by the dew point curve and on the other side by the bubble point curve.
- The critical point is where the two curves meet
Phase behavior – Natural Gas
Multicomponent Phase Diagram
[table id=20 /]